Thanks to Donna Lisenby, Global Coal Campaign Coordinator, for this collection of reports!
Here are just 10 recent coal ash stories from NC:
1. Big in depth Sunday story about the dangers of using coal ash for structural fill by Bruce Henderson at The Charlotte Observer: Coal ash unmonitored in fill sites across N.C.
2. Long story in the Winston Salem Journal and the Greensboro News & Record by Taft Wireback. Describes how the NC Governor angered legislators this week and reveals the astonishing news that Republicans agree with environmentalists-Governor McCrory’s newly released coal ash plan is not adequate: McCrory’s coal ash plan is roiling debate in his own party.
3. Associated Press writers Michael Biesecker and Mitch Weiss tag teamed on this AP wire story published and aired in newspapers and on TV stations across the country (this is Miami Herald and Washington Post version):
Duke: Coal ash spill won’t affect bottom line.
4. Ben Bradford at WFAE in Charlotte combines another smack down from Judge Ridgeway with news about the Governor’s bad coal ash plan: McCrory announces plan to address coal ash; Judge says ‘Now’.
5. Dane Huffman at WNCN news provides a very descriptive headline: McCrory coal ash bill blasted as ‘step backward‘.
6. John Downey goes deep into a legal analysis in this Charlotte Business Journal story: Proposed coal ash law could undermine NC Court ruling on groundwater leaks.
8. Jim Polson at Bloomberg Business News had this: Duke investors urged to reject directors on coal-ash spill.
9. Sun Journal (New Bern) and Star News (Wilmington) Editorial Duke Energy needs to clean ash ponds.
10. WRAL on Dan River water two months after the nation’s third largest coal ash spill: NC State study: Dan River water safe for farm use.